View of the Clementinum from the Astronomical Tower and the Grape Court’s Fountain
After the suppression of the estate uprising in 1622, the University is given to the Jesuits by the emperor Ferdinand III by Karlov.
Clementinum is combined with Karlov University into one educational institution called Carlo-Ferdinand University. This name was preserved until 1918. At the same time, the university library is transported by the university library to Klimentinum.
Since 1653, large -scale construction began according to the plans of Carlo Lurago, then ongoing Francesco Karatti and Giovanni Dominik Orsi, and ended with Pavel Ignac Bayer, who built the printing house and Frannishk Maximilian Kan, the author of the astronomical tower and eastern wings.
By the way, the printing house of the Jesuits, opened in the middle of the 16th century, for two centuries was considered the most influential in the Czech Republic.